Approx. 12-15 hours per week
1 year (120 credit points)
Jan, Apr, Jul, Oct
With a Graduate Diploma in Health (Advanced Nursing), you’ll gain specialised skills to provide optimal care for your patients and prepare yourself for clinical leadership roles.
Turn your passion for nursing into a leadership opportunity by gaining expert knowledge and skills
The Graduate Diploma in Health (Advanced Nursing) will give you the opportunity to get the most out of your existing nursing skills by helping you develop advanced clinical reasoning. You’ll be equipped with expert knowledge of the major body systems and gain a core understanding of different approaches to health in a range of health care settings.
With the freedom of online learning, this program gives you the chance to learn on your own terms. You’ll have the chance to solidify your knowledge by integrating extended clinical practice into your professional workplace. You’ll be able to take your nursing career to the next level, while also delivering standout healthcare to your patients.
Students may study up to two units (30 credit points) per teaching period, which equates to roughly 12-15 hours of learning per week per unit.
Global Health Determinants
Credit Points: 30
- A critical understanding of the global determinants of health
- Influences upon the health of Indigenous populations across the globe
- Ethical frameworks for making health related changes; including the ability to comment on the accomplishments and failures of the western medical model in developing countries
Pathophysiology & Health Assessment For Advanced Practice
Credit Points: 30
Inquiry and Analysis of Literature
Credit Points: 30
- Learn to critically analyse literature (primary and secondary sources) related to health science research.
- Develop the skills for high level academic writing, including the ability to form and define an area of inquiry.
- Discover areas for additional research where necessary.
Research Methods For Health
Credit Points: 30
- Develop an understanding of the practical elements of research design such as: formulating a research question, selecting an appropriate methodology, understanding sampling procedures and finding an approach to social research
- Understand the ethical considerations for applied research with human subjects.
- Develop skills to communicate research findings appropriate to the health science sector.
What you will learn
What you will learn
Global healthcare strategies
Develop a critical overview of the determinants of health and explore the expansive approaches used across the international industry.
Professional health management
This program will equip you with the fundamentals of advanced practice knowledge and leadership in preparation for roles in leadership, management, education or policy change.
An applicant must have successfully completed a three-year (minimum) Bachelor level qualification in a related health cognate discipline area.
Graduate Certificate entry
Completion of the Graduate Diploma in Health (Advanced Nursing) provides a pathway into the Master of Health (Advanced Nursing) focused on leadership and advanced clinical skills.
Completion of the Master of Health provides a pathway into Doctoral studies with Federation University.
Fees are subject to change annually.
Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP)
$1,992 estimated annual tuition fee.
Annual tuition fees are per 120 credit points which represents 1 EFTSL or a standard full-time study load for a year.
The tuition fees you pay will vary depending on the subjects you choose to study as each subject has its own credit point value and cost. The total cost will vary depending on the subjects you choose, your study load and the time it takes to complete your course.
You may need to pay some other fees such as the Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF).
Be supported through your studies with services tailored to the online learning environment. Federation University Online personalises support for every student, accessible at every stage of your study journey.
- Student advisors dedicated to answering your questions about anything from enrolment and course management to essay writing and technical support.
- Online Learning Advisors (OLAs) guiding you through your course, bringing industry experience and expertise in online learning to your studies.
- Study and assignment resources to help you get the most out of each course and submit high quality assessments.
- An online community made up of a diverse network of students, who you’ll study alongside in learning groups and discussion boards.
Flexible study requires flexible support – discover the services available to you so you can go further.Learn more
Successful completion of the Graduate Diploma in Health (Advanced Nursing) will enhance your professional standing and provide you with advanced level skills and knowledge for application as a leader in the nursing practice and knowledge community.
Please note: this program does not lead to registration as a health professional.
Road to Management
Receive the basis of advanced nursing practices that you can take into current or future healthcare environments.
Nurses employed under the state public hospital awards are often eligible for higher duties allowances based on postgraduate qualifications relevant to their practice.
Graduates of the Graduate Diploma of Health (Advanced Nursing) is a pathway into further post-graduate studies, at the Graduate Diploma or Masters level.
Gain clinical experience
Alongside an academic mentor complete a work-integrated project and practice your clinical knowledge in a real-world workplace.
“I’ve absolutely loved it, even though I was really worried about studying again. But you make that decision and you make the commitment to do it and it just happens.“
Federation University Graduate, Nursing
With a Graduate Diploma in Health (Advanced Nursing), you will be expertly equipped to vastly improve your professional standing in health care based roles, including;
- Lead nursing positions
- Nurse and nurse unit manager
- Emergency nursing
- Professional nurse educator
- Lead nursing opportunities
Meet the people behind your course
Dr Blake Peck
Blake Peck is a Senior Lecturer in the School of Health. Blake’s main research interests relate to pediatric injury, the health workforce, childhood long-term illness and qualitative research theory. Blake has been widely published in journal articles relating to nursing and health, and his main teaching areas include research methods, pathophysiology of disease and pharmacology.
Dr Kerry Hood
Kerry Hood is a Senior Lecturer in the School of Health. Kerry has been published across numerous nursing journals and her research interests include interprofessional learning and teaching and learning pedagogy. Kerry’s main teaching areas include education, leadership and social determinants of health.
Why study online with Federation University?
Online study is the freedom to fit further study in your life, and to do it on your terms.
You will have full access to support services, with tailored support available across extended hours.
Make it happen online
You will make an impact in whatever you choose to do with practical- and industry-focused courses.